Stress is a huge problem in our lives.
There are plenty of reasons to be stressed these days whether it’s work, relationship, money, pain or illness-related stress.
And the worst part is, happy events in our lives can also cause stress. Things like marriage, moving, having a child or meeting new people are all wonderful things, but they cause our body to go into stress mode.
And stress mode wreaks havoc on the body.
How we handle stress can have a positive or a negative impact on our health. When we handle stress in a positive way we become more resilient. When we don’t handle it well, it can take a toll on our body.
Fortunately, there are ways to handle stress:
- Meditation or deep-breathing exercises. Deep breathing helps to calm the body
- Exercise, especially aerobic exercise, is beneficial. It helps trigger feel-good endorphins and encourages those deep breaths.
- Eating a balanced diet helps ensure that you are well nourished, a well-nourished body is better equipped to deal with whatever stress life throws at it.
Adding a few “superfoods” to your diet can help negate the impacts of stress as well:
- Omega-3 fatty acids help protect your brain from stress.
- Vitamin C helps your body combat the physiological impacts of stress.
- Whole grains, beans, legumes, fruits and other “complex carbs” help trigger your feel-good neurotransmitter serotonin, which helps keep your mood elevated.
Think you’re too stressed? Take the assessment here and find out how to live a less stressful life!