Coconut Sticky Rice with Mango
This is such a gloriously easy recipe that I feel a little guilty even posting, but it is also so, so good that the world needs to know about it! Everywhere on the streets of Bangkok we saw vendors selling mango and sticky rice and we were totally intrigued by it.
We bought some on the street for a whopping $1.50 and proceeded to fall in love as we completely devoured it. Now that we have our own kitchen in Cambodia (yay!) I have done my best to recreate it. This recipe is probably a very simplified version (but, who said simplified is bad? I love simple!!) but it retains a lot of what I loved about the authentic dish I tried in Bangkok- the sweet, juicy mango mingling with the creamy taste of the sticky rice.
Plus, I drown the whole thing in coconut milk, which makes it even more creamy and oh so delicious. I used hot rice and cold mango and cold coconut milk for some fun contrasting temperatures as well (it’s like cold ice cream and a hot brownie… except that instead of brownie, it’s rice and instead of ice cream it’s coconut milk… Well, hopefully that helps paint the picture).
Not only is this a tasty dessert, but it is also a secretly healthy dessert! There are no added sugars, only the sweetness that the mango brings to the table, but I promise you will not miss the sugar! I used black sticky rice to boost the antioxidant content- that lovely black color comes from anthocyanins, the same antioxidants that give blueberries their super powers. Black rice is also a whole grain, which means it is a lower glycemic index food, is loaded with fiber and can even help prevent heart disease.
The coconut milk is rich in fiber, antioxidants and medium chain fatty acids which provides it with some health benefits (check out our Coconut Health Guide). The mango, besides adding exotic decadence and a burst of sweetness, is loaded with vitamin A, a powerful antioxidant and fiber (oh, and guess what? The fat in the coconut milk is also going to help your body absorb the vitamin A in the mango. I am all about synergy!) Anyway, I love, love, love this recipe and am super excited for you to try it as well!
- 1 Large Mango, washed, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup Black Sticky Rice
- 2¼ cup water
- ⅓ cup coconut milk
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- Pinch of kosher or sea salt
- Rinse the sticky rice several times in cold water until the water starts to run clear. Drain well.
- Combine water and rice in a small sauce pan (or, use your rice cooker). Bring the water to a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer and cover. Allow rice to cook about 45-50 minutes until the rice is soft but still has a bit of a bite in the center. After the time is up, remove the rice from the heat, quickly open the lid, sprinkle with the lime zest, stir once and cover again quickly. Allow the rice to set for another 10 minutes.
- While you are waiting for the rice to cook, wash, peel and slice the mango. Keep refrigerated.
- Combine the lime juice, salt and the coconut milk in a small bowl and refrigerate.
- When the rice is ready, scoop out ⅓ cup each into 2 bowls. Pour the coconut milk onto the rice, dividing it equally between the two bowls and top with the sliced mango and get ready to rock your tastebuds! You will have plenty of leftover rice to make more coconut sticky rice or another rice dish!